Gloria's Jewelry Box is very excited about our weekly Artist Spotlight Series. You have to check out the creative work from this talented artist! I am in love with the White Quartz Bullet with Peacock Necklace! Show her some love!
1. Tell me a little about yourself! What inspired you to open an ETSY shop and what is your business? I'm a silly crafty girl who moved from Philadelphia to Fort Worth about two years ago. While driving to Texas for the move, my Mom called and informed me that my dad had been diagnosed with Cancer. Eight months later he had passed away after a brave battle with the disease. I spent the last three months of his life at home with both of them, helping and just spending as much time as possible with my Dad. During my down time, while my Dad was sleeping, I found myself becoming increasingly anxious and stressed and needed to find a way to channel it. I suddenly thought, "I want to make some jewelry." So my Mom and I hopped in the car, went to the craft store, and I have been crafting ever since. My shop, Release Me Creations by Zen25 resulted from my newly crafted pieces.
2. What ETSY team(s) are you a part of? I LOVE Etsy teams, thus I am a member of a lot of them. Okay, deep inhale and...Etsy Success,Norfolk and Chance, Conquer Etsy Front Page, Epic Treasury Team, Global Arts Team, Craft Count, Handmadeology, Pure Handmade, Etsy817, Creepy Queen Team, Inked Etsy, Click One Treasury Team, Pay It Forward, Etsy Under 30, Technique Q & A, Custom Order Corner, Etsy Texas Crafters, Etsy Ugly Cute,
3. When did you begin your business? I started my business in November of 2009.
4. What inspires you to create? I am inspired by colors and shapes, stormy weather, the ocean, the sky, industrial metal buildings, zippers, and anything that is unique or different
5. What do you envision your business in the next five years? In the next five years I envision my business to be bringing in triple figures, with a five shop locations and a staff...oh, you wanted realistically? In the next five years, realistically, I see my business making steady growth as I continue to learn and refine my pieces. I am completely self taught, so I learn as I go, and make the mistakes right along with it.
6. What is the best business advice you have ever received? Rome wasn't built in a day.
7. What are three of your favorite ETSY shops? All three of these shops are pure inspiration to me each for different reasons
8. What is something that you tried crafting, that turned out to be a disaster? The first time I tried making a steampunkish pendant filled with resin it was a complete and total messy disaster. The resin overflowed, and I only had a small paper towel under it so it went everywhere. When I got that all cleared up, and let the resin set, it turned out I hadn't sealed the image underneath completely so the inks bled and everything turned a murky blue. Definition of disaster! I have since gotten better with resin, but I am nowhere near mastery!
9. What are three things that few people know about you? I have two degrees, a B.A. in Education, and a M.A. in Education Leadership. I taught 9th Grade English for five years, got completely flustered with the educational system, and now do what I love working at a Martial Arts school where I also train in American Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai Kickboxing, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
I began beading when I was a little girl. I would love to spend time with my grandmother rummaging through her jewelry box.
A little more about me... I love pink and green. I love bold colors. I love interesting and eye catching jewelry. I love unexpected color combinations. I love vintage jewelry. I love the beadwork of the Masai and the beautiful bangles from India. I love to have fun with my jewelry and I hope that you will enjoy it too!