Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spotlight on...







Cindy Burke Originals Handmade Beaded Gemstone Jewelry

Gloria's Jewelry Box is very excited about our weekly Artist Spotlight Series. You have to check out the creative work from this talented artist! I am in love with Necklace Gold Glass Spiral Pendant Sheer Ribbon! Show some love!

1. Tell me a little about yourself! What inspired you to open an ETSY shop and what is your business?

I made jewelry as a teen when I lived in San Diego. It was easy to go to craft shows all the time because of the good weather. I stopped making it for many years but got started again as a craft for the teens at my church. I enjoyed it and kept making more and more necklaces, bracelets, anklets and earrings. Gave away a lot, wore some myself and still had maybe forty pieces just sitting there, until I found out about Etsy!

2. What ETSY team(s) are you a part of?

I belong to EtsyBEAD, which is the first team I joined. I was so excited when they accepted me! I also belong to EtsyTumblerians, which has a lot of members. All of us have blogs on Tumblr.

3. When did you begin your business?

I set up my shop in February, 2010. I was hoping to make 100 sales by one year, but not quite! Still working on getting there.

4. What inspires you to create?

The materials rope me in. I am in love with picture jasper, shell heishi, turquoise…the list goes on!

5. What do you envision your business in the next five years?

I hope that sales will pick up and eventually become regular. I would love to be earning a few hundred dollars a month with my shop in five years. Realistically, there is a limit to how much business I can do since I work full time and commute to another city over 20 miles away for my job.

6. What is the best business advice you have ever received?

Honestly, I can’t pick just one thing as the best. There are countless people on Etsy who have helped me, either directly or through sharing blog posts with information. I guess Search Engine Optimization (SEO) advice has helped my shop the most, and you can find plenty about that by searching the forums.

7. What are three of your favorite ETSY shops?

The first shop I ever bought from on Etsy was Evangeline and Bella’s Boutique. Evangeline makes beautiful costumes for children and I ordered two of her Rose Fairy costumes for a couple of six-year-olds in the family.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/evangirl

Rebecca’s Soap Deli has so many luscious and great smelling soaps that are pretty to look at as well.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/soapdeli

A new and very original shop that I love is Fiber Beads. Eleanore Brown hand creates beautiful beads from fiber. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Ebrown2503

8. What is something that you tried crafting, that turned out to be a disaster?

Well, it wasn’t exactly a disaster, but the first wire that I used was not up to the task of supporting the materials that I use. I’ve since found much better wire that will not break! Everything in my shop had to be restrung, so okay, it was a disaster, lol.

9. What are three things that few people know about you?

I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Clemson University in 2007 with a degree in Communication.

I love to read, especially sci-fi novels.

I am a big fan of the Dalai Lama!

10. Check out this fabulous seller at:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CindyBurkeOriginals
http://cindyburkeoriginals.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment